All-On-Four Dental Implants
An All-On-Four dental implant is a special kind of dental bridge treatment that has become more common in recent years. All-On-Fours is a dental implant treatment procedure that allows you to have a complete set of teeth without undergoing multiple surgeries and replacements to place a full set of implants in your mouth. This is why they are referred to as All-On-Four dental implants.
This procedure can be an option for patients of any age. It is important to consider the benefits and drawbacks of all-on-four implants compared to those options.
All-On-Four Dental Implants vs. Dentures
Many patients consider an All-On-Four treatment versus dentures. In some cases, they have already had dentures and want a more permanent solution. Others want to avoid the dentures path entirely from the start. Below are some things to consider:
- All-On-Four implants are a permanent solution that looks and feels like permanent teeth.
- Unlike dentures, All-On-Four implants do not cover a significant portion of your mouth and gums.
- Although dentures cost less, All-On-Four implants are much less expensive than dental implants for each tooth.
- All-On-Four implants do require a single day o surgery and recovery, unlike traditional dentures.
- All-On-Four implants last much longer than traditional dentures, which typically must be replaced every 5-10 years.
- Because dentures cover the top of your mouth, they can impact how you eat and taste food, which is a problem that dental implants avoid entirely.
- All-On-Four implants require standard oral cleaning habits (brushing and flossing), whereas dentures require special cleaning and can lead to infections in the mouth.
- Some patients with dentures have issues with gagging, which is not an issue with permanent tooth replacements like All-On-Four treatments.
All-On-Four Dental Implants vs. Individual Dental Implants
All-On-Four Dental Implants are a variation of traditional implants and come with many benefits over that option.
- For All-In-Four implants, only one surgery is required, whereas traditional implants require surgery for each tooth.
- Faster recovery time can be had through All-On-Four implants, as quickly as a week.
- All-On-Four implants can offer significant cost savings versus full implant replacements, as you do not have to return for additional surgeries, follow-ups, etc.
- Less bone grafting, if any, is required for All-On-Four implants because we can select the strongest and healthiest areas of your jaw to place the implants, which also contributes to a quicker recovery.
Many mouths are not in the ideal condition for a full dental implant replacement of each tooth. All-On-Four implants are revolutionary for these patients because they can allow them an implant solution with the benefits of a permanent denture alternative. Before, it might not have been possible or a great solution.
Get a Consultation with Durham Dental Center
Getting any dental implant or permanent dental treatment is a serious consideration that should be done in consultation with your dentist. Each patient’s mouth is unique. It is not always that one treatment is better than another because of a list of pros and cons, but also because of the condition of your teeth, gums, and supporting bone and tissue structure. A great treatment for one person might be a less wise treatment for someone else.
You can schedule an appointment with us at Durham Dental Center anytime. We have experience working with a wide variety of patients with many different oral health circumstances. We will examine your mouth, take x-rays, and discuss what matters most to you in your situation. We want to help you have the healthiest and happiest mouth possible, so please reach out today so we can start you on the best path forward.